For us, smokey eyes symbolise boldness and power. They exude a sense of inner strength that a simple eye shadow look does not. It is a signature look that looks perfect on some occasions like a Cocktail party or the bachelorette.
Now, everyone wants to rock a smokey eye but that doesn’t mean it’s easy! You must make one with a ton of care because not knowing the right technique can make your eyes look puffy. However, with a few trials and errors, you can look gorgeous without going to a makeup artist!
If you have also wondered how to make smoky eyes like the rest of us, you will love reading about these 5 different types of smokey looks you can easily create.
PRO TIP BEFORE YOU READ FURTHER: The first step for every look is to start with a clean base. An eyelid primer allows the makeup to stay longer and blend in nicely. Apart from the primer, you will also need to apply concealer to even out the discolouration on the eyelids and under the eyes.
Scroll down to know the full guide on how to make smokey eyes!
How to make smokey eyes with bronze eye shadow?
The first is a bronze smokey eye look. It is a classic that you can get away with at a lot of events, including day time ones like the Mehndi.
- Step 1: After preparing the base, apply a bronze eye shadow on the eyelids and under the waterline.
- Step 2: Create a smudged line by swiping a dark brown eye shadow as close as possible to the lash lines.
- Step 3: Use more eye shadow wherever necessary to increase the intensity or blend the creases.
- Step 4: Use a gold eye shadow or liner to highlight the inner corner of your eyes.
Finish all the looks with a good coat of mascara!
How to make smokey eyes with gold and pink eye shadows?
- Step 1: To start off the look, apply a deep pinkish-purple transition shade in the crease and all over the lid. Then apply dark brown shadow at the edges.
- Step 2: Take a black eye shadow to create intensity at the edges. Apply the eye shadow under the lower lashes and smudge it as well.
- Step 3: After the black colour has been blended, pack the eyelids with liquid glitter.
- Step 4: Apply the gold at the corner of the eyes as well as on the lower lashes to create an ombre look.
Complete the look with a winged liner to create a dramatic look to add to your smokey eye!
How to make smokey eyes with green glitter eye shadow?
To create this whimsical green smokey look you will need 4 different eye shadows - emerald green, golden brown, shimmery black and gold.
- Step 1: Apply a thick liner on the upper as well as lower lash line.
- Step 2: Blend it well and apply emerald green eye shadow on the eyelid. Smooth it on the lower lid as well.
- Step 3: After green, apply a golden brown shade above the crease.
- Step 4: To add intensity to the smokey look, apply black on the centre of the eyelid. You can use a gel liner to do the same.
- Step 5: Set the gel with the black shimmery eye shadow and apply it under the lower lashes as well.
- Step 6: For the finishing touches, apply the gold eye shadow at the corners and black mascara.
It is the perfect look if you are wearing a green dress, especially on your bachelorette party!
How to make smokey eyes with gold eye shadow?
While we generally associate smokey eyes with darker hues, you can make the same with light colours too for a day look!
- Step 1: To start with, you have to prep, prime and conceal your eyes, especially the area under your eyes. Make a base with a cream liner so that the gold will pop out.
- Step 2: Use a gold eye shadow and pack the eyelids. Remember to blend it properly.
- Step 3: Apply a dark brown shade from the corner to the corner to create intensity.
- Step 4: To finish the look, apply gold under the lower lashes and complete it with a coat of black liner.
How to make smokey eyes with a halo effect?
The last eye look is a halo smokey look that is an elaborate one that’s perfect for the Cocktail night. The steps are quite similar to the gold smokey look.
- Step 1: After prepping the skin, apply a brown eye shadow in the crease for the dark and intense look.
- Step 2: Apply black eye shadow on the eyelids and blend into the crease. Do the same under the lower lashes.
- Step 3: Use a gold highlighter on the centre of the lids as well as the corners. Keep applying the eye shadow until you are satisfied with the intensity.
Complete your look with a liner flick and a thick coat of mascara.
Now that you know how to make smokey eyes and create different looks, try some and tag us on Instagram when you post your looks there! If you have any more questions on how to make smokey eyes, ask us through the comments!
Want a professional to create your eye look? Check out these makeup salons near you!